Public Program Librarian
Classification: Regular Hourly (Exempt)
Position Summary: The Public Program Librarian
Reports To: Executive Director
Coordinates with: Archivist & Program Curator
Time/Schedule: 40 hours per week including weekends and evenings. This position requires working with the public and therefore is not a remote position.
Salary: $800-880/week DOQ
Benefits: Paid PTO & sick leave, paid health & dental insurance and 401K retirement plan after eligibility period
About the Stearns History Museum
The Stearns County Historical Society (d.b.a.) Stearns History Museum is a place to learn, discover and discuss history. The Museum is connected to our community through public programs, publications and professional association. We are stewards of stories and protectors of the artifacts and archives that tell those stories. We engage audiences of all ages and welcome all to visit, learn, and explore.
Our museum galleries and research center are open 5 days per week, Wednesday through Sunday. We operate year round. The Stearns History Museum is the anchor of the City of St. Cloud’s Heritage Park, a 80-acre nature park with walking trails, abundant wildlife, and a skateboard park.
Do you thrive working in an active and collaborative environment? Do you enjoy daily interaction with students, families, staff and the public? Do you love libraries and archives, their unique spaces, and the mission of connecting people to knowledge? The Public Program Librarian works as part of a team to support the daily operations at the Stearns History Museum in the library and archives. The Public Program Librarian creates a welcoming and stimulating space in which our community can gather and learn. This position participates in delivering a variety of public-facing services: processing and organizing archive research requests, helping library users locate physical and electronic resources, acting a liaison between special interest groups and SHM, providing opportunities for student learners ages elementary through and university. This position also monitors and manages the Library & Archives space, liaising with Facilities as needed, updating and improving signage, and ensuring a welcoming, inclusive environment.
Candidate should have an aptitude for organization and problem-solving. They will also possess the confidence and curiosity to explore new workflows and services, and are comfortable seeking out expertise from a network of colleagues and collaborators.
- Interact with museum patrons and visitors both in-person and online, providing assistance locating materials, using public equipment, searching online resources, and making referrals.
- Facilitate space planning and management efforts in the Research Center for effective patron service and collections processing
- Supervise program and research project volunteers and Research Desk staff.
- Create training tools for Research Center patrons, staff, and volunteers consisting of written documentation and interactive tools
- Maintain operations manual for Research Center
- Facilitates public access to the archival collections by ensuring they are properly retrieved and reshelved before and after patron use.
- Conceives, writes and delivers programs on curatorial and collections related issues in cooperation with the collections, program and exhibition teams. This includes offering programs for school-aged youth, adults, and families,
supervising interns, and supporting collegiate level research projects
- Supports public programs with partners including, St. Cloud Area Chamber of Commerce, Great River Regional Library, St. Cloud Area Genealogists and Civil War Roundtable.
- Assist with collections processing, arrangement, cataloging, indexing, description and conservation when requested by the Archivist.
- Support staff research projects.
- BA or MA in Library Sciences, History, Museum Studies or Social Studies Education
- 2-3+ years of customer service or relevant experience
- Experience with Library Catalogs – Preferred experience with Proficio
- Experience with Ancestry.com and genealogy research
What skills you should bring:
- Enjoy daily, in-person interaction with an energetic team of staff, volunteers and the general public.
- Self-motivated and thrive off of finding creative solutions to organizational and technological challenges.
- Are flexible and can quickly redirect your focus/attention in response to changing needs in a busy, public-centered department.
- Are highly organized and self-directed.
- Must be willing and able to pass a background check.
For more information or to submit a resume:
Stearns History Museum
235 33rd Avenue South,
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Working at a museum has always been our dream job. And we’d love to meet others who feel as passionate as we do! Explore our opportunities below, which include traditional employment, student internships, and endless volunteer opportunities.